How long would it take your design agency to build a PowerPoint deck?
The simple answer to this question is: it depends.
Le me explain by sharing some of the questions I ask people who get in touch with me for presentation assistance:
What sort of material are you supplying?
- draft presentation deck, with photographs
- draft presentation, text only
- draft outline
- draft storyboard on paper
- Excel data to create effective charts
- only an idea or a message that you want to communicate
- a corporate branding document
- some presentations that you like to guide the design choices
Do you want help in developing an effective structure and content as well, or are you just looking for graphic design?
If I sense uncertainty in answering this question, I try to help by posing questions such as:
- Do you have a clear objective and key messages?
- Do you have a good introduction?
- Do you have an appropriate conclusion?
- Have you thought about using a story to capture attention, and have you found a story you can use?
- Have you considered leaving participants with a call-to-action?
- Do you need to prepare an effective handout as well?
These are some of the issues to keep in mind if you are thinking about getting outside help with a presentation. Most people think it’s just a matter of applying some make-up to the slides, but make-up does not “make up” for no structure, unclear content and information overload.
On the other hand, once the content and structure are clear, graphic design can do a lot to improve your presentation and make it easier to communicate with your audience.
Many factors will impact the time and cost of a presentation design outsourcing project. So, how long will it take? It depends on what results you want. It could take a couple of days or…
Photo Credit: rafeejewell via Compfight cc